Constitution and Rules for
The Australasian Theological Forum Limited
The name of the body is The Australasian Theological Forum Ltd.
The Australasian Theological Forum is established to provide a forum for Christian theology to engage with other disciplines or areas of social and cultural concern.
3. Pursuant to the above the Forum may:
- Organise meetings, conferences, and public and private lectures and arrange other educational activities.
- Promote the publication of books, journals and papers in association with others or in its own name.
- Attract and encourage donations and gifts of all types and to apply for grants in order to provide funds for the attainment of the Forum’s objects.
- Do all such things as are conducive to the attainment of any of the above objects.
4. MEMBERSHIP OF THE FORUM
4.1 The members will be the members of the Board and any other person who applies for and is accepted by the Board as a member of the Forum.
4.2 An application for membership must be in writing on the prescribed form and signed by the applicant, and accompanied by the membership fee in force at the time.
5. THE NATIONAL BOARD
5.1 The Forum will have a National Board and such sub-committees as the Board sees fit.
5.2 The management and conduct of the business and affairs of the Forum is the responsibility of the National Board.
5.3 The Board will have no less than ten (10) and no more than seventeen (17) members, who will be appointed for a three year term, which can be renewed for a subsequent term or terms.
5.4 The Board shall elect a Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer from among its members.
5.5 The Board shall appoint an auditor.
5.6 The Board may exercise all such powers and do all such things as are necessary within the objects of the Forum.
5.7 The Board may
- invest money of the Forum in such securities or otherwise and in such manner as the Board may determine;
- appoint officers of the Forum and pay such officers;
- employ any persons, engage agents or procure any professional or other assistance or services which are required by the Forum to carry
out its activities and pay reasonable remuneration and fees;
- publicise projects by the Forum in order to promote the work of the
- open any banking account and operate the same in the ordinary course of business, and may determine the method of execution of cheques and other negotiable instruments drawn on the same.
6. PROCEEDINGS OF THE BOARD
6.1 Until the Board otherwise there will be a simple a majority of those entitled to attend and vote as board members to be a quorum for a meeting.
6.2 The Board will cause minutes to be kept of the resolutions and proceedings of the Forum. Minutes must be signed by the Chairperson at the next ensuing meeting.
6.3 The Board must meet at least three (3) times each calendar year.
6.4 At every Board Meeting each Member present in person will have one vote.
6.5 If at any meeting the necessary quorum is not present within fifteen (15) minutes after the time appointed for the meeting, then the Chairperson may adjourn the meeting and nominate the time and place for the meeting to resume.
7.1 Each financial year of the Forum will end on 31 December.
7.2 The Board must cause to be kept such accounting records as correctly record and explain the transactions and the financial position of the Forum.
7.3 At each Board meeting the Board will receive an account of the Forum’s finances from the Treasurer.
7.4 As soon as practicable after the end of the financial year, or at the end of a Symposium, the Board will:
- cause accounts in respect of the financial year to be prepared; and
- cause the accounts to be audited by an auditor approved as such.
7.5 The Board will each year cause to be prepared an annual report of the affairs of the Forum, incorporating the annual accounts, the auditors report on the accounts, and any other report or statements on the activities of the Forum.
Any member of the Board, and any officer and employee of the Forum will be indemnified out of the assets of the Forum against any liability incurred by him or her in defending any proceedings whether civil or criminal taken against him or her by reason of his or her actions in relation to or connected with the Forum and in which judgement is given in his or her favour or in which he or she is acquitted or in which relief is granted to him or her by the court in respect of any negligence, default, breach of duty or breach of trust.
9 MEMBERS NOT TO OBTAIN BENEFIT
The income and property of the Forum, from whatever source derived, will be applied solely towards the promotion of the objects of the Forum as set forth in these Rules, and no proportion of it will be paid or transferred directly or indirectly by way of dividend, bonus or otherwise by way of profit to the Board or Members of the Forum.
10. DISSOLUTION OF THE FORUM
In event of the Forum being dissolved, the amount which remains after such dissolution and the satisfaction of all debts and liabilities, shall be paid and applied by the Board in accordance with their powers to any fund, institution or authority which is non profit.November 1994
Amended February 1995
Amended September 1995
Amended June 1998
Amended June 2002